Monday, March 8, 2010

10 things I think about Fulham Football Club this week March 8th

The past week was very interesting for Fulham Football Club. On Saturday, Fulham played a 0-0 draw against Tottenham in the FA Cup. Now, Fulham will go to Tottenham for the replay in a few weeks. March continues to be action packed as we now have an additional match. Here are my thoughts on the week gone by and moving forward.

1. I think the 0 - 0 draw was a lost opportunity for Fulham. It was a pretty even match against Tottenham in the FA Cup . I guess the result was probably justified. I thought Fulham had a few good opportunities to score, but there weren't enough of them. It will be tough to beat them in the replay at White Hart Lane.


2. I think Fulham played to "win" the entire game on Saturday. I already mentioned this prior but I have read criticism that "Fulham played 10 behind the ball against Tottenham". Danny Murphy not playing I think dictated how the game played out. There is no question that Tottenham were in the Fulham half a great deal. However, in the second half Fulham definitely pushed forward some and created opportunities. Finally, why would Fulham want to play for a tie and have another game in a replay on the road?



3. I think I will be following the reserves and academy teams of Fulham much closer in the future. I wrote about Christopher Buchtmann last week. I have always liked following progress of young players as they move up. I enjoyed reading information about Matthew Briggs who captained England's under 19 team last week. There are also strikers like Marcello Trotta and Danny Hoesen for me to follow their progress. Hoesen and Buchtmann actually scored goals in the last reserve match which Fulham won 2 - 0 over Stoke.



4. I think Fulham really missed Danny Murphy in the last match. As I have mentioned prior I think if Danny Murphy played Saturday maybe Fulham could have gotten a better result. Not seeing him in there really made me appreciate even more. He might be getting older but he is still a great passer and player. He will be missed again on Thursday.


5. I think Roy Hogdson will have interesting lineup decisions this week if Paul Konchesky is ready to return. It shouldn't affect the Juventus match but, might have some impact on the Manchester United match. Since Nicky Shorey can't play Thursday will he play against Manchester United? It will be interesting to see how Hogdson handles his lineup this week.


6. I think Zoltan Gera has done a great job right behind Bobby Zamora. He has been very solid the last few weeks. I hope Hogdson keeps this combination intact. They seem to work very well together.


7. I think the Tottenham fans were great this week. I want to thank them for coming to my blog this week. This is a very loyal fan base and I appreciate any feedback they have given me. It is always good to know what the other teams fans think. I came away this week with much respect for team and its fans. I wish them luck the rest of the season and also in the replay.


8. I think Eric Nevland is leaving Fulham this summer. According to Dan at Hammyend.com , he has confirmation that Eric Nevland will return to his old club Viking Stavanger this summer on a free transfer. Good luck to him going back to his former club.


9. I think I will be very happy if Fulham get any kind of result at Juventus this Thursday. I think it might be asking too much for a victory in Turin. Maybe getting an away goal would be good enough? Fulham will also be shorthanded without Danny Murphy. It will be fun though to see Fulham play Juventus.


10. I think Fulham should be happy with any points at Manchester United. After playing Juventus on Thursday, Fulham go to Old Trafford on Sunday. I think Fulham showed everyone that they can play with Manchester United when they played them at Craven Cottage. This is a different story on the road though. If they can pull out a point I will be very happy.


Again, these are just 10 things I think about Fulham Football Club as of this week March 8th. It should be a fun week.

No comments:

Post a Comment